Effective Time Management for Students
Nowadays, students’ preference on working part-time keeps on rising. Many students work during their vacant time to accumulate extra income that will help them support their studies at a college or a university.
Working students keep on increasing in number in the United States. For these students, working while studying is never unusual.
However, being a working student is not as easy as it seems. One must be able to overcome the pressures brought upon by studies. All the projects, home works, examinations and other school requirements will surely leave one a headache.
In addition, the stress you may feel while working may not be that good. Whatever work one may choose, it will require him of extra effort and time.
In some other cases, there are full time college students that are involved in voluntary charity works or community extension programs. They too are spending more time over their usual time spent on studying alone. Extra time for other activities other than studying would mean lower grades if not managed well.
For these working students, their time can only be divided into two. First, they must allot time for studying and second, they must work. It is never hard to handle especially if one already managed his time properly.
However, on the part of those spending their vacant time at home, attitude is somewhat the problem why achieving time management is hard.
Here are some time killers that one should be aware of for avoidance:
• The Boob Tube Television is one of the time consumers and time wasters. Spending too much time watching television programs is not a good habit. You can do other worthwhile chores or works rather than just sitting on a corner and let time pass by.
Recent studies show that most American teenagers are hooked up by television. They would spend a maximum of 10 hours in front of a boob tube.
• E-mail Teens these days are very much IT oriented. They would rather spend in front of their PC rather than do some productive works. These virtual innovations are very helpful for a student, but not all things in excess are beneficial. One may limit the use of their e-mail for important businesses only.
Using your telephone, more than five times a day outside your rest time is not a good time management. Telephones should be used solely for important transactions and emergencies.
One may decline a call if it is not important. Mobile phones alike are time wasters. Many students spend too much time for SMS and other features on heir mobile phones rather than for their work or studies. Students must always remember that these gadgets are for important purposes only.
Knowing these time killers would be a great help for building up your time management skill. One must always take heed and avoid these time wasters.
Always bear in mind that whatever or whoever takes your attention during your working or studying time may be a time waster.
Therefore, to make sure that your time is used constructively you may continue reading and find out the simplest thing to do in order to master your time management skills.
One may apply these three basic to-dos in time management. These are very simple but quite hard to follow. Read on to find out why.
Things one must do in order to double his time management ability:
1) Avoid and eliminate time wasters in your life. All the time wasters listed above and whatever that seems to you is a time waster must be eradicated. Ever since, spending time on unnecessary things is not beneficial. In addition to that, time wasters can also be money wasters.
Resting must not mean jeopardizing your allotted time for study and work. Your time must fall exactly on the important things you must do. You may allot a little time for television, telephone, etc to be able to accommodate necessary things to do.
In allotting time, prioritize your studies and work than any of things you have to do.
2) Organize your activities by making a list for it. Before doing anything, plan it and write it down so that you may be guided accordingly without wasting time. In making a list, prioritize what you have to do first according to its importance.
Distractions are widely creeping around you, but whatever happens; do not allow these distractions to become your priority. Here are some things you have to make a list for:
• Write down the things you need to accomplish
• Every item written on your list must be given a period
• Organize every item written according to its importance.
• Make a plan on how to achieve your goals exactly in tune with the period.
3) Focus. This will help you accomplish every little thing you have to do for a day. Do not ever loose your focus or else your goals will be destroyed.
Do not ever allow interruptions ruin your goals. Focus is your key in accomplishing your goals.